Silicon Valley Wife...Talks Fashion
Are We Mad About Plaid?
There are some fashion-y catchphrases that make me grit my teeth. “Mad about Plaid” is one of them. Ugh. But good golly miss molly, do I LOVE plaid. And flannel. And houndstooth. And any other print that requires parallel lines and ninety degree angles. I wanted to feature some of my absolutely favorite and fabulous plaid pieces in today’s entry. These are my fall/winter staples. As you recall, SVW lives in the Bay Area, so all of these will be totes approps (another awful phrase) from now until February, if I want them to be. Without further adieu….
(clockwise from left)
1. Camel Coat with Plaid Lining, Thread and Supply (retails for $120, but I snapped mine up from TJ Maxx for $32.00 on sale!): This little beauty is going to transition perfectly from fall to winter here in the bay. I love the hint of plaid on the hood and the cuffs, and the toggle closure is beyond perfect. I’m excited to add this to my coat repetoire! I think it is 100% the best casual coat I’ve purchased in the last 3.5 years (arbitrary amount of time, yes).
2. Blanket Scarf, Merona Brand at Target ($19.95): Yes, I’m aware this is a massively popular trend. Yes, I know that some people would call my plaid blanket scarf “basic bitch-worthy” (a term I LOATHE. But I digress). But it is a low key staple in my wardrobe this fall. I can literally use it as a blanket at work if I get too cold, and it is so massive that I can hide all of my secrets (chins, pimples, extra food for later) within its glorious folds. I will most certainly invest in this scarf in some other colors/prints as well.
3. Deconstructed Plaid Shirt, We the Free (I bought this last year, for I think $50.00 at Nordstrom Rack): This shirt is an acquired taste. A coworker told me “SVW, I like how you are wearing ALL the flannels right now.” Which is true. This is a patchwork quilt-type shirt, with a length that is JPA (just past ass) so you can wear it with leggin’s and feel okay about it. I also suggest some knee-high boots. It’s just hella comfortable and cute—and perfect for a hayride or apple picking or pie-making or whatever other adorable, insta-worthy activity you participate in during the fall.
4. Plaid, Gold-Toed Smoking Slippers, 14th & Union (purchased a year or two ago…I think I paid $20.00 dollars for these at Nordstrom Rack—please note that your Silicon Valley Wife is a BARGAIN SHOPPER, y’all. It’s my cardio.): These are my Plaid Tour de Force. I love these more than just about any flat I have. They make me feel like a dapper dandy any time I wear them. I actually have an entire outfit planned around this one pair of shoes (It is super-muted to let them steal the show), and I swear it is my low-key power look. Just slap a gold toe on anything, and you’ll feel like a boss (can someone put that on a coffee mug for me, please?).
5. Red, White, & Blue Flannel, beach lunch lounge (another Maxxinista purchase at $24.99, but similar styles can be found for $68.00): I bought this dude with the explicit concept of “year-round flannel” in my brain. This is adorable with boots and dark denim, but is equally stunning with white shorts and flippy-floppies, unbuttoned, with your bikini top peeking through. It’s a year-round flannel, y’all!